Friday, July 18, 2014

The Golden Rule of Mothering



As part of my Art of Sacred Post Partum training, I was introduced to the Mother’s Wisdom Deck, a beautiful set of 52 oracle cards that shine light on the work and being of motherhood, across the scope of Natural Mother (eg cave), Animal Mother (eg Dolphin), Ancestral Mother (eg the Pythia) and Divine Mother (eg Haumea, the Hawaiian goddess of nurturing). 

Quan Yin, mother of compassion and mercy


Syncronistically, I was gifted a set of these cards by a dearly sweet postpartum client of mine, and oh! How that gesture touched my heart. The gift filled me up, and I was so excited to have a look I brought them out at my very next session, half an hour later, to keep that sister love flowing. 

When I am not packing the cards into my basket to take them to client sessions, they sit upon my desk, just beside my laptop and above my journal. Often in the morning as I start work I will draw a card to give me (or perhaps, more accurately to enrich my inner, sometimes veiled knowledge) some guidance for both my work and my mothering- and of course my personal journey which is strongly linked but paradoxically independent from work and mothering. 

The card in question
 

Today, as I have on more occasions than any other card, I drew Kuan Yin. She’s been popping up a lot, so it was time to meditate on her and find out what exactly it is which she trying to tell me. 

Kuan Yin is the Chinese Goddess of Mercy, and is intertwined with the concepts and experiences of compassion, motherhood and selflessness. Here’s a little jewel from The Mother’s Wisdom Deck under Kuan Yin’s entry:

“In Hebrew, the word for compassion, rachamim, is the plural of the word for “womb”. Just as a baby expands the womb, children expand our compassion.”

There is a rich beauty in that statement, and whilst that would make a lovely blog post to explore, they were not the words that sung out with a resonant toll of wisdom for me today. Instead it was this:

“This thousand armed goddess, ever ready to offer mercy, prods us to temper our reactions with love. She whispers: mother as you would like to be mothered.

Whew, those last eight words have opened up a profound shift in me, on this chilly winter afternoon, sitting at my desk. Mother as you would like to be mothered. Of course. 




So many times in my mothering journey, empathy is the answer. Perhaps it is always the answer. I am not sure. I do know, though, when I am feeling out of sorts, disconnected, both from these three precious little beings I mother, or from my  ideals and visions of my own mothering, empathy is the fast track to bring me back to connection and a sense of centredness in my mama-being, which are probably the two most important parts of my mothering ideals. 

The statement, Mother as you would like to be mothered, a shiny “golden rule” indeed- what a great tool and mantra for empathy and compassion! Embodiment of the Kuan Yin way, on so many levels.
So I take this into my mothering, right in this moment. How can this enrich the lives of my children, and of my mama-being?

Connecting to that little girl inside me, the memories of being a wild little girl running around the farm I grew up on, at the bottom of another sacred mountain, climbing fig trees, building cubbies from bark and sticks, watching dragonflies around the dams and being scared witless of the horses and bulls which would occasionally find sport in chasing me. That part of her that still resides in me, what does she yearn for?

the freedom and resources to explore her land and her being to the edges of what it is to BE her…
whilst still being held, in safety and often ignorance…

to be nourished by food not just in a nutritional sense, but by the love and intention behind it…
fun (or the initiation of it at least, and allowing the play to take it’s own path) and the provision of spontanaety, surprise trips to new places and activities that bring newness and joy…

presence and cuddles in the darkness of night when nightmares visit or fears crawl into bed with her, and the assurance that YES morning will come, and that NO things won’t feel this scary forever…

adorable little hand crafted “friends” that appear as a manifestation of mother love (this is a thread that has definitely carried from my mum, who made me so many little toys, to my children- my little girl has a rainbow unicorn, a Waldorf doll and a butterfly fairy sitting in her bed right now, loving stitched by me)…

education about and support within that big wide world around us- nature, but also what it is to be a woman, to live an alternative lifestyle, to be a person living in the bush, to be an aware communicator, an individual that helps the human race evolve to something more loving, connected and conscious…

patience in the face of misbehaviour, knowing that there is a need that has not been met, and a delving into what that need might be, and how to help her meet it (in cases where this is appropriate) or to have it met for her (where this is appropriate) or support in grieving that the need cannot be met (if this is appropriate)…

and in that, connect with her potentiality rather than her ‘wrongness’…

the knowledge that being a mother is a joy for her mother, not a burden…

the most fervent, yummy, wholehearted cuddles when we return to each other after time apart.

A little picture of a time in recent days where I felt I was mothering as I wished to be mothered:

My oldest (six, a boy), who had recently had a tummy bug and came home from a morning’s gallivanting with dad tired and a little unwell again: I took a quilt and a pillow and his favourite blanket set him up a nest on the veranda in that sweet winter sunshine. I sat with him for a while, the babies pottering around us and rubbed his back. I could see and feel him soaking up that simple mama love, it was so nourishing for both of us. 

And as always, when talking of mothering the red thread, the line from us back to our mothers and grandmotherly ancestors, and forward to our children and the generations to come, is the context. 

My realisation at the end of my meditation was this: that the adult me, the mother that is juggling these three beings, and a doula and birth counselling business, and a small publishing job, and a husband, and a gorgeous little bush home and a much neglected but honoured garden…that mother is getting what she needs from her own mother.

My mother comes to visit for a long weekend once a month, and brings with her respite, joy, space and a slowing down. 

My mother is just so adept at mothering me as a mother myself. Despite her years, she had endless energy and presence and play for my three children. She heartily lets me- even tells me, sometimes, to go have a sleep, and doesn’t wake me until I wake up. She gives my husband and I time- the only time we have, in fact, to slip out for a cuppa. And she gets the kids breakfast and takes them for a walk, now, after night weaning my youngest, I can feasibly go out later than 9pm- and need a little sleep in the next morning. 

And it’s not so much the sleep that is the most nourishing, or whatever she is providing for us or facilitating for us. It is the understanding, empathically, of the need below it, and giving her all to fulfill that, non judgmentally, with love and compassion. It all comes down to love. 

In what ways do you "Mother as you wish to be mothered?" Or how could you extend yourself to mother in this way? Or father, of course, if that is your path...





© Sammi Cambray/Sacred Whisper Bellingen 2014


Ph: 0418 950 793



No comments:

Post a Comment